Dee brings over thirty years experience and enthusiasm for Early Childhood education. She has worked successfully in curriculum leadership, pedagogical change and teaching roles, both in New Zealand and internationally. Dee is a strong advocate for Te Whariki, which she believes allows teachers to work broadly, deeply and in a highly connected way with the child, their whanau and their community. She strives to inspire curiosity, creativity and self-determination in both children and other educators.
Dee’s international experience offered her an opportunity to reflect in depth on curriculum, and how it can best meet all the developmental needs of young children, and she is a strong advocate for quality teaching practice.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Te Whariki, and the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme for Early Years
- Six years leadership, teaching, mentoring and PLD facilitation in international schools in Asia, working with teachers and interns from diverse cultures, and with a wide range of approaches to Early Years education
- Implementing inquiry-based programmes in ECE, and building strong links between the Early Years and Primary School
- Led Early years Curriculum Review process, investigating a range of curriculums and approaches (IB, Te Whariki, Reggio, Australia and UK) to design local curriculum to meet the needs of a very diverse community
- Worked with Early Years Centres implementing Curriculum and pedagogical change
Expertise in developing approaches for children with English as an Additional Language, providing leadership and professional development to others new to working in this field
Conference presentations, keynotes, seminars, workshops
IB South-East China Early Years (Presenter of ‘Using Storytelling and Drama to promote Language Development’)
Reggio Approach, Eton House, Singapore
Pedagogical Leadership in EY, International Baccalaureate, Hong Kong
New Zealand Teachers Council
Aside from education for young children, I have other three other passions; family, food and travel! I am the mother of three adult children (one of whom is now teaching internationally) and three step-children, all working in the Arts. I am the doting grandmother of three young children, and just love watching them learn and grow, alongside their parents. I love cooking, and planning wonderful food to share with family and friends. And I’m always looking for the next travel adventure, particularly when it involves seeing old friends, and eating good food!
If you’re planning for a year, plant rice
If you’re planning for a decade, plant trees
If you planning for a lifetime, educate children