This programme focuses on ways in which the Pasifika Education Plan 2013-2017 can be used to encourage, support and empower the participation, engagement and achievement of Pasifika learners and their parents, families and communities in your centres, schools, clusters and education partner agencies.
Course participants will be able to:
- identify their own prior knowledge that is culturally responsive
- understand how to align and position the relevant goals, targets and actions of the Pasifika Education Plan 2013-2017 within their own strategic plan
- develop strategies for better participation, engagement and achievement of Pasifika learners, their parents, families and communities
Who is this for
Leaders and teachers who are about to embark on establishing a collaborative teaching team
Leaders and teachers who have identified Pasifika as a key focus area for their CoL achievement challenge
10 week course with 2-3 professional learning hours per week.
This course includes:
- 2 synchronous lessons (live webinars)
- one face to face session (at the beginning of the course)
- at least 4 online activities (completed via Moodle).
Module 1: PEP 2013-2017
Explore your vision for Pasifika success in connection with the Pasifika Education Plan (PEP) 2013-2017. How do the goals, targets and actions align with your school/CoL contexts? What can we learn from the Pasifika Success Compass that can be incorporated into our strategic plans?
Module 2: Engaging Pasifika learners
What can we learn from the Pasifika values in the PEP? Are there similarities that exist between the Māori values and cultural competencies in Tātaiako and the PEP values? How do these values also connect with the 7 principles of learning?
Module 3: Engaging to Achieve
Extending beyond the Pasifika values covered in Module 2, we start to look at actions to help draft our Pasifika Action Plan. We consider the different voices that must be surfaced in the plan - student voice, teacher voice and parent voice. Can we engage all voices to gain achievement for our Pasifika learners? What do we know about our own cultural intelligence?
Module 4: Pasifika Action Plan
Exploring the commitment required to realise the engagement and achievement of our Pasifika learners. We take the actions that we developed in Module 3 to formalise our Pasifika Action Plan. How do we know that what we have created will make a positive impact on the Pasifika students in our centres/schools/CoLs?