Copy of transcribed interview
Date: March 04
- 1.How do you feel about school this year?
- It can be confusing and sometimes just like last year I get headaches but not as many now.
- Was that before you got your glasses (last year)
- Do you think they helped?
- Yeah, quite a, a little bit Still getting little ones not as big as last year.
- When do you get them?
- Around mid-day. After you've been working for a while.
- What about drinking water -
- it does help but I run out. Not lack of food - I don't feel hungry when I get headaches.
- What makes them go away?
- Usually when we go outside at lunchtime in the fresh air, after about half an hour.
- 2. What do you find the hardest to do in the classroom?
- Probably concentrating - like personal organization - both concentrating on your work and what the teacher is saying because you just want to carry on with your work but the teacher is still talking. I'd rather just keep working if I get into something.
- 3. What do you think makes it hard for you to learn in the classroom?
- I don't know (repeat question). The hardest part is my eyes when I concentrate. I had an eyetest a couple of weeks ago when I got my new glasses and they said it was the same as usual. When the lights are on, and I was reading out of a book, my eyes would go all fuzzy and I couldn't see properly. If I'm not reading at school or just a page it's easier because the words are smaller in a book
- 4. What do you find the easiest to do in the classroom?
- Maths is getting a bit easier - but the easiest I would say is either art or writing stories.
- 5. What helps you to learn the most?
- My Mum's helped with my maths and if its writing I get ideas out of my head or off TV, or off other people when I hear them talk. Mum does Times tables - still have trouble with my 12's
- 6. You have identified ________ as your smart way of learning. What do you think would help you learn better in the classroom?
- Kinesthetic - (what was the question again?) Concentrating more by not talking. To stop talking I just want to get into things so if I'm interested I just get on with it. I start talking because I hear other people talking and get distracted. Do
- 7. Can you always hear what the teacher is saying?
- Sometimes - I would ask a friend what to do.
- 8. Are you always able to understand her instructions?
- No, Because sometimes I don't know what to do and sometimes I can't hear.
- 9. How often do you need to ask the teacher for more help?
- Not often but she comes over to me to check.
- 10. Can you see the blackboard from where you are sitting?
- I can see the blackboard but its hard without my glasses and easier to see the whiteboard. Prefers whiteboard because it's easier to read than the blackboard.
- 11. Where would be the best place for you to sit in the classroom?
- By the window so if I got headaches I'd be able to open up the window and it would start to fade away. The fresh air makes a difference.
- What about looking out the window being a distraction?
- Sometimes I would look out the window to get some ideas if I was writing. I would just look outside for a while and then I would write
- Do you see that as a distraction?
- no not for me.
- 12. Are you sitting beside someone you like?
- No not really.
- Who would you like to sit near?
- Because he would help me with my work and he's a good worker. He doesn't talk a lot.
- 13. Do the people around you (in your group) make it easy or hard for you to work at your desk?
- Hard, because usually C. is a bit silly and swings on his chair and falls off and distracts me.
- 14. Do you notice if the lights are on or off in the classroom? Which do you prefer or does it matter to you?
- No but I would rather have them off. If I walked into the room I wouldn't notice if they were on or off but if I had a piece of paper, if the lights were on it would be harder and if they were off it would be easier.
- Because when the lights are on they reflect off the paper into my eyes and if they're off it doesn't do it that much.
- Did that happen before you got your glasses?
- Yes. (glasses are not tinted - maybe needed)
- 15. Where do you prefer to work when you are writing something down on paper?
- Repeats part of question first. It doesn't matter if its on the floor or desk.
- 16. If you could choose between using the computer or paper and pen to draft your stories, which would you prefer to use?
- Pen and paper (decisively)
- Because I'm not much good on computers and I like pen and paper because its easier to
use than the computer. Its hard to find where you want the buttons.
- Have you done any practice with the keyboard?
- Yes we have a computer at home and I use that.
- 17. If you could choose between the computer and paper and pen to publish and present your work, which would you use?
- Computer because when I'm publishing it
usually takes longer because I'm trying to do my neatest when I publish but on the
computer it doesn't really matter.
- What about fixing mistakes?
- With pen and paper its harder and on the computer its easier.
- What about headings
- with pen and paper
- What about pictures on the computer
- pen and paper
- 18. Do you like using words or pictures best to show your ideas?
- 19.What kinds of things do you like using the computer for?
- Ideas - publishing, presenting, drawing, photography, movies, researching,
Games on the internet, email my Dad - not much because he works fulltime.
- whats that?
- me and D were going to make a movie but we didn't have a video camera.
- I'm not good at researching - I find it harder researching but on the computer its easy.
- Chat group
- no but I might get onto one.
- no. We are using wall charts/posters to present our weather study.
- If you could use a slide show what would you rather do?
- Use the computer.
- Do you know enough to be able to do that?
- 20. If you could change anything about school, what would it be?
- Thinking - repeats question three times. Yesterday we were playing rugby without mouthguards but Mr G was watching us and said it was all right but Mrs J said we couldn't play. I'd like to play rugby without a mouthguard. I don't see what the difference is having a mouthguard because it only protects the upper mouth what about the bottom jaw?